Subject: Re: [Leica] Cool Leica Pictures
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 20:32:00 -0500

At 08:26 AM 4/7/98 +0200, you wrote:

>To be even more radical: none of the images you show on your site (nor
>any of the images I would be able to show on a site of my own) would
>render any differently if you had used cheap P&S hardware instead of

I dare you to use a point and shoot and come even close to most of the
pictures on my web site. For example the stained glass. Get the exposure
right with a P&S. Or my night football. Or any of the other pictures that
require lenses of 2.8 at 300mm, or anything else.

But you are right in the main point of image quality on the web. It doesn't
show the potential that Leica produces. But then we can get too obsessive
about minutia of image quality and miss the "real" message the picture
offers. And it's mostly for that reason I put my pictures on the web.
Anyone who doesn't think that isn't the MAIN point to a photograph, well,
I'm not interested in their opinion.

In model railroad parlance, they're called rivet counters. They miss the
main point of the effect that a modeler is trying to portray in seeing if
the model is has 49 instead of 50 rivets.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

We can never be born enough. We are human beings; for whom birth is a
supremely welcome mystery that happens only and whenever we are faithful to
ourselves.

- - e. e. cummings