Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutter durability
From: "Bruce R. Slomovitz" <brslomo@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 20:25:51 -0400

Dear Readers,

With respect to the number of firings of which a Nikon shutter is capable or
the number for which it was designed,  I recall reading the number 150,000
in the pamphlet which I got from Nikon with my FM2.  To the best of my
recollection the booklet stated that the shutter had exceeded this number in
testing.

We all know that in practice some shutters will fail before this number of
firings and some will surpass this number.  The important point, I think, is
that shutters of this type are well made and will stand up to the amount and
type of usage required by professionals and serious amateurs.  This, of
course, is also true of Leica shutters.  Let's agree that they are both fine
cameras, just built with differing purposes and according to differing
philosophies about how, why, and where one does photography.

Bruce S.