Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutter durability
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 20:19:22 -0500

At 11:01 PM 4/6/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Annual Buying Guide of the leading cameras (presently copied by Popular
>with many of the old Modern staff),  although Popular had long published
>a annual directory of all photographic products.

And in typical American media monopoly style, Popular Photography (the
inferior publication) bought out Modern to keep the competition down.
Quality publications are always in peril when they compete with mediocre
publications.

Why is that? :-)

I really liked Modern. I cut my teeth on Photography with that magazine,
poring over the issues form the late 70s. Arthur Kramer, Howard Chapnik and
the rest were great writers. I learned about a lot of the great
photographers and went to the library looking for their books.

I will always remember that publication with fondness. And Camera Arts too,
which got bought out by American Photo (inferior bought superior again!).

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

We can never be born enough. We are human beings; for whom birth is a
supremely welcome mystery that happens only and whenever we are faithful to
ourselves.

- - e. e. cummings