Subject: Re: [Leica] Fred Ward's mail about incident
From: TEAShea <TEAShea@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 00:04:46 EDT

<< So, camera manufacturers made and
 make meters to measure for 18% reflectance. If you are lucky enough to
 either happen on an 18% scene, or photograph gray cards (which are made
 to be 18% reflective), then you get the right exposure. If not, then
 your pictures will be over- or under-exposed. It cannot be otherwise >>

Sure it can.  A TTL meter is a guide - not an absolute.  About 90% of the time
I will adjust the actual setting of the aperture or shutter speed different
than that indicated by the meter.  When photographing, I am aware of a variety
of factors including how dark or light the subject is.  I do not expect every
scene to be 18% grey.  I am glad to know my camera's meter considers it to be
18%, because this gives me a reference point to use to adjust the exposure
that way I want it.

An incident meter is fine, but so is a TTL meter - when used correctly and
intelligently.

Tom Shea