Subject: [Leica] Hektor 4.5/135mm SM Mounts
From: Bruce Feist <bfeist@flock.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 17:51:45 -0400

Some equipment that I got from a now-deceased great-uncle has me
confused.

I have a Hektor f/4.5 135mm SM lens which consists of a front section
with all the glass, and two swappable barrels which sit behind it.  They
are of different lengths; one is clearly to be used to attach the lens
directly to the camera, while the shorter one, I assume, is intended to
be used in conjunction with a Visoflex.  Well, I have a Visoflex, too;
I'm not sure of the model, but it attaches to a SM body and accepts
bayonet-mount lenses.

I also have two SM/bayonet adapters.  One is a very thin (in length)
ring; unfortunately, the Hektor can't use it, because it's too wide (in
the radial direction) -- the outer part of the Hektor collides with the
ring.  The other adapeter is lengthwise thicker; it has a tripod socket
in it, and is a significant chunk of metal.  I can attach the Hektor to
this using the short barrel, but it cannot focus to infinity -- it is
only capable of focusing at a distance of roughly 10 feet, indicating
that the barrel is too long.

Clearly, there is part of the puzzle that I'm missing.  How can I make
use of this lens with the Visoflex?  What is my thicker adapter really
intended for?  Is there some other kind of adapter that I should try to
find?

Thanks!
Bruce