Subject: Re: [Leica] 18% metering often wrong
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 16:54:59 -0700

Your quote explains the problem we all face, but does nothing to explain how
to resolve the problem.  By saying that "the correct exposure is the one that
makes the photo look the way you want" says nothing about how to achieve
that goal.  If you sent an amateur out with that advice, he would have no clue
where to begin......

At 02:37 PM 4/8/98 -0400, Peter Su wrote:
>All this talk of metering has me thinking one thing, and one thing only.
>
>In one of his how to books, John Shaw says something to this effect:
>
>The "correct" exposure for a scene is the one that gets you a picture that
>looks the way you wanted it to look. If the picture is lighter than you
>wanted, then its over-exposed. If it is darker than you wanted, then its
>underexposed. The goal is to learn how to use your light meter to get the
>exposure that YOU want.
>
>END SUMMARY
>
>As with everything else in photography, the way you achieve this goal tends
>to be different for everyone. There is no one magic bullet, one technique
>that works for everything every time everywhere. In particular, the way you
>meter for 35mm color slide film is going to be very different from the way
>you meter for B&W 4x5 sheet film. I think we have to keep this in mind when
>talking about "correct" metering.
>
>So, just learn how to use whatever your favorite meter is the right way, and
>go from there.
>
>Pete

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions