Subject: Re: [Leica] 18% metering often wrong
From: TEAShea <TEAShea@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 11:13:51 EDT

<<  Isn't the point that no metering is "accurate"?

It depends on what you mean by accurate.  A meter is a elctro or mechanical
device that measures light.  A meter can certainly be consistently accurate in
the sense that it accurately measure the photons of light.

I guess I don't know many photographers who simply use the meter reading for
all exposures - I certaintly do not.  I use the meter as a guide - as a source
of useful information.  But the meter does not determine the exposure.  I do.

You are correct that no meter will automatically yield the correct exposure in
all instances.  Some, are pretty good at getting it right most of the time,
but there are always situations where the photographer must divert from what
the meter suggests.  It would be less intersting to be a photographer were it
otherwise.

Tom Shea