Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Eric's site & the LUG Gestapo
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 18:23:20 -0700

If photography is to be called art, it too must comply with the rules. Art
is in the eye of the beholder. What is art to one person, is junk to
another. That's why artists make a lot of money selling but-ugly sculptures
to city councils all over the US. And they then plant them out front where
no one can avoid looking at them. I've been to plenty of photography
exhibits where the photographs weren't suitable for lining bird cages. But
hey... it's in the eye of the beholder and the beholder has the right
(perhaps the obligation) to voice his/her opinion. Any time you criticize
something, you will get flack. Automatically. So why is it that if you heap
praises on something that is so bad, it has zero merit, no one will take
you to task? Perhaps people believe only goodness and if they don't agree
with it, they think something is wrong with them, not the expounder.

So practice your freedom of speech. If you don't use it, you will loose it!

Jim