Subject: RE: [Leica] Cool Leica Pictures-uncool exchanges
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 07:06:30 +0200

When I started this, I certainly did not expect it to turn into such an
agressive thread. The doubts I expressed were related to the rendition of a
few images published on a Web  page. The link to that Web page was
communicated to the LUG by a LUG member under the subject field "Cool Leica
Pictures".

After visiting that page and looking carefully at the images, I had a
reaction that I have often had looking at images on the Web: they render
poorly under my (quite standard) digital and Web visualizing tools. The Web
technology strips the 'technology' added value out of them IMHO. I maintain
that they would not have rendered very differently ON THE WEB if they had
been shot through a low price P/S. You are well aware that there are good
quality low price P/S options out there. They do not require flash on every
image, they have good lenses, opening at f2.8, with good contrast and
definition, with low flare, they have good metering systems, and quite
frankly you can get good 'decisive moment' images out of them, even if it
is much easier to do so with a M6.

So, this thread was about the dangers of using the Web as a showcase
vehicle in the framework of exchanges related to the illustration of the
high potential of Leica (or Nicapentolta).

Some answers to the questions I raised have given useful information on
compression technology and new file formats, others have insisted on the
fact that each Web user owning a Leica should at the very least own a high
end graphical workstation before surfing the Web.

As I have suggested in an earlier post here, please visit the Nikon Coolpix
900 page. It could have published under a page called 'Cool leica
Pictures', and I believe most of us/you LUGgers would have waxed extatic on
how beautiful they are. They really are. ON THE WEB. Check:
http://www.nikonusa.com/products/imaging/images/moosebird.jpg and the other
images in that folder.

Alan
Brussels-Belgium

On Thursday, April 09, 1998 1:24 AM, Robert Rose [SMTP:RJR@usip.com] wrote:
> I have been watching this thread with some disbelief.
>
> How could anyone claim that these pictures could have been taken with a
P&S camera?

> The focus motor, shutter, flash pop, and wind level on most P&S is so
loud that the subject would be distracted.  The zoom motor sound would have
made the boy look at the camera, and the woman turn her head, turning the
image into a diary record, something !
> other than what it is now.
>
> The flare of most P&S cameras would have made shooting with the light
bulbs in the field impossible.

> I could go on, but these are exactly what they are billed:  really cool
Leica images.

> Case in point.  My daughter was the Wicked Witch in the school production
of Wizard of Oz.  I had a 90mm Elmarit-M on an M6, shooting with NHGII 800,
no flash, mostly at f/2.8.  Good friend next to me had her P&S ready.  When
her daughter (munchkin) came ou!
> t, up she jumps, wooor, click, snap, flash pop, buzz, then HORRORS END OF
ROLL buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz to rewind, while everyone looks at her in
disbelief.  I lift M6, silently click off shot of munchkin.

> When I saw her next she sighed, "my picture didn't turn out so good."  I
handed her the picture of her daughter.  Her reply?