Subject: RE: [Leica] Cool Leica Pictures
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 18:31:46 +0200

On Wednesday, April 08, 1998 2:41 PM, Eric Welch
[SMTP:ewelch@ponyexpress.net] wrote:
> There is no way the tonal modulation of my
> stained glass pictures would come through with a Stylus Epic and ISO 800
film.

I know that of course: in the 'normal' photography world, your images of
the stained glass shot through the 180mm f2.8 will most probably be very
spectacular. Especially as projected slides, but also if you produce a nice
glossy enlargement, or even get if you get them printed in a good quality
magazine. They will be radically better than similar shots through a good
P/S and ISO 800 film. I repeat this is not the case with my Web
experiences.

> Maybe you need to calibrate your monitor, but there is no digital camera,
> except maybe the Leica S1, Leaf (or one of the other high end ones that
cost
> $30,000)  that could match the tones in those pictures, even on the web.
> know, I use a $14,000 (now $10,000) digital camera at work, and I know
what
> its
> pictures look like. In ideal situations, it's darn close to film as long
as
> you
> don't crop it much. But that's it. Film still outdoes it. And if you
can't see
> the difference on the web, well, I won't argue that you can or can't. But
> surely can.

We could do blind tests. Please check the CoolPix 900 info page on the
Nikon site: some of the pictures there could serve as propaganda for Leica
glass and high quality film. They are just plain perfect. On the Web. try
this: http://www.nikonusa.com/products/imaging/images/moosebird.jpg

>  but they are beautiful pieces of art that people can see. And
> some of the quality of the images come through just fine. That's what
matters.

That is true. I would not use them as showcase for Leica but as an example
of fine church art within the framework of a series dedicated to such
topics.

> Bokeh, no, probably not in most cases. Curvature of field? Shoot, show
that in
> an 11x14 on the wall. Some people won't see it. Fine detail? Nope, you're
> right
> on that point. But the tonal modulation comes through. At least on my
monitor.
> Computer monitors are more like slides projected on the screen, whereas
prints
> are not as &quot;bright."

My monitor at home is the standard semi-crappy 15" thing most people get
with their PC. My graphic card only allows 64000 colours at 800 x 600. I
get 24-bit at the office though.Your JPEG compressions are destructive and
larger pictures would take too long to download. I think this is an average
Web experience. The more I look at it, the more I believe black and white
is better suited for Web scrutinity than colour.

Well, I'm packing my bags, my M6 + 21/35/50/90 and no notebook. Flying of
to Marrakesh on Saturday, and shall check out real life colours :-)   Might
(or might not) try to share them with you through the Web.

Friendly regards,
Alan
Brussels-Belgium.