Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Eric's site & the LUG Gestapo
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 1998 06:03:24 -0500

At 11:59 PM 4/8/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm new to this list ... have been looking for a place to discuss images and
>ideas rather than what fits which ... where can I find eric's site ?? ...
good
>imaging, dp

It's in my signature.

And feel free to not like them. :-)

As for the comment that newspapering produced quite mundane pictures, for
about 70 per cent of the business, no about 80 per cent of the business,
that's quite true. But there are pockets of good work being done here and
there. My newspaper just got a big thumbs up from ASNE (American Society of
Newspaper Editors) for the photo essays we do. The best photo editor in the
country right now, Randy Cox at the Oregonian, told the previous photo
editor this past fall that his photographers would envy ours for the space
we get for photo essays.

But we photograph a lot of things that are newsworthy, but hardly inspiring
for photographic possibilities. We live with that to have a chance to do
the good pictures. Has nothing to do with photographic ability. And even
the bad picture situations can be quite enlightening. For example,
photographing Arthur Schlessinger (former cabinet member with President
Kennedy, historian) was a typical podium speaker shot, but boy, did he have
a lot of interesting things to say. I love this job.

Some day I may post a few essays on my site. The new version of Photoshop
(5.0) coming out this spring will have a web optimized compression scheme,
so who knows? But it would still take up enormous bandwidth because of the
size of a file that would hold the whole page, or four (even eight) pages
our stories cover.

And I really appreciate the support from my friends out there, but don't be
so hard on Christian. This is a tough business, and opinions are like
navels. Everybody has one, valid or not.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I exist as I am - that is enough.