Subject: [Leica] Lens Contrast & Gamma Explained
From: Leikon35 <Leikon35@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 16:19:24 EDT

 The best possible photographic paper can only reproduce a limited amount
 of tones.  Correct me if I am wrong but I have heard that it was something
 like LESS than 512 for a b&w gray scale of each color.  Whereas there are
 millions of tones existing in nature.  A transparency can capture more and
 that is ONE of the reasons why slide has a narrower exposure lattitude.

 Therefore all reproductions, through any lens, are compressed into a shorter
 scale & a gamma of 1.0 is much contrastier then any actual full range scene.

 Marvin
In a message dated 98-04-09 13:10:56 EDT, John McLeod asks:
<<
 I have several questions about these two lenses, and lens in general.  Can a
 lens (e.g. A) be "too contrasty" or is the appearance of "excessive"
 contrast really a film contrast issue?  Second, can a lens (through coatings
 or otherwise) ADD contrast to a scene or can it only let pass what light is
 available to be passed to the film?  Third, can a lens have greater overall
 contrast, and at the same time, lower micro-contrast, or is a high contrast
 lens simply a high contrast lens, in all respects?

 Thanks.

 John McLeod