Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Contrast & Gamma Explained
From: Jim Zietz <jzietz@unix1.sncc.lsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:02:32 -0500

I was once told that the human eye could perceive less than 200 shades of gray and that
was why 8-bit grayscale images were ok.

512 shades of gray seems pretty good by that count.

<The best possible photographic paper can only reproduce a limited <amount of tones.
Correct me if I am wrong but I have heard that it was <something like LESS than 512 for
a b&w gray scale of each color.  <Whereas there are millions of tones existing in
nature.  A <transparency can capture more and that is ONE of the reasons why <slide has
a narrower exposure lattitude.

Jim Zietz