Subject: Re: [Leica] Subjective lens impressions: Erwin's comments
From: "Boreham" <boreham@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 08:06:51 +0100

Erwin Puts' comments on Alfred Breull's subjective impressions arise partly
from a classic "subjective" versus "scientific" approach, as acknowledged
in the thread title. I wonder how much of the difference between Erwins and
Alfreds statements could also arise from different samples of the same
lens? I would be very interested to know if Erwin has ever done optical
bench comparisons between identical lenses. Can such variations ever be
greater than the design differences? I guess (hope) variations are less on
current than older lenses? I have always believed that part of Leica's high
costs are due to covering higher rejection rates to maintain tighter
consistency between samples. Is there any factual data on this?
Sorry for so many questions. If this is a well worn thread could someone
please summarise, or point me to some web addresses to catch up.
Mike