Subject: [Leica] Photo editing
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 10:09:39 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

>  And the editor is not there to
> show off. Like good design, photo editing should be invisible.
>
> That being said, I think photo editing contests that judge a work over
> time, not one page, can truly show how an editor can make it possible for a
> photographer's work to even be seen.

Eric and Dave,
As I am sure you both realize, we have limited this discussion to actual
picking of pictures.

Yet so much of a photo editor's job can be to inspire the photographer,
to provide background to help he or she understand context, to set out
story points to investigate, to discuss graphic style or points of view
that take into consideration the greater context of the entire
publication.  Etc.  Great editors, whether from words or pix, magazines
or newpapers, photo agencies or book publishers, have these abilities.
They can be like the grandfather or grandmother we go to for their
wisdom and compassion and love and trust.  They can be the ones who know
what you are capable of and will accept no less.  Perhaps, the hardest
part of a photo editor's job happens before the photographer goes out on
assignment and when there are bumbs in the road during.

Picking a good picture off a contact sheet is the easy part.

Of course, editing an essay is an art in itself, and certainly a
different set of skills than photography.

donal

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego