Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #305
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 23:38:17 +0200

>How come you left out al of my lenses? Or did I just not see them? Of course,
>being poor I have all the lenses nobody else wants -- a 3.5 Elmar, a 21mm F4
>-- but that doesn't make them bad.

Sorry, Charlie. I don't know the 3.5 Elmar, but Noel (Noel, please, allow
to me to publish your notable lines) said to me in a private mail,

<<<I have the Elmar collapsible 3.5/50, and the Summar 2/50, and I
have noticed a difference ...I would be interested to read your
impressions of the Elmar as well. I find it to be crisper than the
Summar, almost like the difference between a television picture
(Summar) and a movie film (Elmar) >>>

Different, I have mentioned the 4/21 SA in my descritption. It performs
like the 3.4/21 SA in my experience (but less sharp at lower f-stops),
and it is a great lens at my favorite 21 mm f-stop, f 8. Besides, you
pay DM 2.000.-- (about USD 1.100, without viewer) for this lens in
Germany, and you only see her once in 2 yeasr ...

Unfortunately-1, I cannot confirm your description of the inside blackening
anymore, since I got the lens from my newspaper as professional gear
(25+ years ago) and returned it after departure. Different, I agree to your
description and your friend's experiences of the old lenses' performance.
Me, as many other LUGs, prefer those old lenses with their intended
in-perfectness (?, word), because they just do what I see/ perceive when
I look at a person, landscape, or another fascinating subject.

Unfortunately-2, Leitz and Solms do not follow that line anymore since the
50ies, as Marc J Small indicated. As in other industries, they are immitating
Japaneese or US developments and improvements (that's my comment :) ).

Alf

Alfred Breull
http://members.aol.com/abreull/index.htm
http://members.aol.com/mfformat/c-mf.htm