Subject: Re: [Leica] Subjective ... / 90 Elmarit
From: Andrew S Jordan <andrewsjordan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 18:53:04 -0500

Bud et al.: I have been using the lenshead of the "old"  90mm f2.8
Elmarit-M via the 16464 and 14167 adapters on Leica R cameras. The lens
was purchased without a focusing mount for the M camera.The drawback is
the stopdown metering on the R. In my experience for portraiture  this
is the  best 90mm lens in the 35mm format. The faces have a
3-dimensional roundness and the out-of-focus image is very pleasant. Up
to 8x10 or even 11x14"  enlargement  the resolution of fine detail is
excellent. I think the 90mm Summicron-R comes close. For landscapes and
general use you may prefer the latest Elmarit or the discontinued
"skinny" Tele-Elmarit; but for portraiture  the 90mm f2.8 Elmarit-M from
the late 1960s and early 1970s is hard to beat.

regards, Andrew Jordan