Subject: [Leica] Comparison of screw and bayonet lenses
From: rurmonas@senet.com.au (Richard Urmonas)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 20:44:03 +0930 (CST)

Peoples comments would indicate that the newer lenses are superior to
the older lenses.  As I use a IIIc I was wondering if the lens characteristics
are noticably worse than the newer lenses, or are the differences so small
that in practice (i.e. "normal photography") they would not be noticed.

At the moment I have a 50mm f3.5 Elmar from 1954 and a 135mm f4.5 Hektor
from 1955.

Should I stay with these lenses (cheapest option)
Are there better screw mount lenses which would give me performance more
equal to the newer lenses (more expensive option)
Or are the newer lenses sufficiently better that I should consider
changing up to an M series camera with bayonet lenses (most expensive
option)

Thank you
Richard Urmonas
rurmonas@senet.com.au