Subject: Re: [Leica] offtopic:35mm slide/negative scanner
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 08:40:18 -0700

I am very experienced in digital scanning of slides, and own or
have owned two fo the scanners you list, the Nikon and the Polaroid.
The Polaroid is the better of the two.  The Nikon scanner is good,
the software is OK, and the setup is fair.  The Polaroid scanner
is very good, the software is above average, and the setup is easy.

The Polaroid has a much better density range (Dmax) than the Nikon
and others, meaning that you will get significantly more shadow
detail from a Polaroid scan.  This was important to me, and I can
easily see the difference between two scans from the same slide.

At 09:24 PM 4/14/98 +0800, Ferdinand U. LuDo wrote:
>Hello Luggers,
>
>I'd like to get into scanning my negatives and slides so that I can preview
>my shots before having them printed by my lab. I'd like to ask some
>opinions on the ff. 35mm slide/print film scanner:
>
>a.) Microtek Scan Maker 35T Plus for PC
>b.) Polaroid Sprintscan 35 LE PC
>c.) Nikon Coolscan LS-20  Coolscan II
>d.) Minolta Dimage Scan Dual
>
>I'm really new at this stuff and don't know much about it. Sure, someday
>I'd like to print out my outputs/results on a piece of paper, but for now
>my priority is to see the negative/results before having them printed by a
>lab. Before, I had a lab do me a contact print before having them printed.
>But the turn around time was too long (a few days). I'm now thinking of
>previewing it right into my computer screen. My equipment currently is a
>Cyrix 133+ with 1.2 meg hardrive, 32 Meg EDO ram and 2 Meg Video card
>(Diamond Stealth I believe). i know, its a bit outdated, but I'd like to
>know whether any of the above scanners listed above would work and what are
>the necessary hardware/softwares I need to get started.
>
>Would appareciate some advise,
>
>Ferdinand

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions