Subject: [Leica] Good pictures - what is art?
From: "Andrew Knight" <andy@oberon.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:08:27 -0400

Andrew Knight@OBERON
04/14/98 06:08 PM

Here is a quote that really works for me to sum up what is successful
art and what is not.  If a photograph increases my interest in a
person, culture or place then it succeeds as a piece of art, otherwise
I consider it a piece of rubbish. That's fair isn't it?

"My first acting teacher said all art is one thing -
 a stimulating point of departure.  That's it.  And if
 you can do that in a piece, you've fulfilled your cultural,
 sociological obligation as a workman.  What you're supposed
 to do is keep people vitally interested in the world they
 live in.  Artists are supposed to be of use, to make people
 not necessarily happy, but enrich their vitality."
 - Jack Nicholson