Subject: Re: [Leica] PX625 cell, Hg, and Tri-Elmar (long)
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:31:38 -0700

At 02:20 PM 4/14/98 -0700, Joe wrote:

>regulations that removed them from the market. <<<<
>
>Ken, your frustration is understandable. However, irresponsible was the
>introduction of batteries containing mercury, an element known to be lethal

I'm not sure Hg is any more lethal than a lot of other chemicals that we
either use or is forced upon us everyday. MTBE, Benzene, Lead, Selenium,
Fluoride, Iron... A few Iron supplements will kill a young child. You
cannot use lead paint but you can buy and throw away lead-acid batteries.

I'm not arguing with you Joseph, just pointing out that certain things are
banned in order to gain a leading edge in a particular industry. Many very
very poisonous substances are forced upon us every day. They still use
Mercury in your teeth! They put MTBE in our (CA) gas, yet it is banned
(proven health problems) in many other states. MTBE is a waste product and
to get rid of it cost the oil companies large sums of money. So they, and
the bureaucrats, figured out how we the public could buy MTBE. Fluoride is
proven to be a real health hazard. Anyone with college chemistry,
physiology, etc, knows the effect of Fluoride on the brain. Yet bureaucrats
force it in our water. I have four kids, 18, 22, 25, & 27. We have never
consumed Fluoridated water in our house. None of my kids have a single
filling in their teeth. Their teeth are perfect. Also, If Fluoride does
help teeth, it only helps young people... the very people that are harmed
mentally by it.

So my point of view is that Mercury batteries are no more harmful than
Fluoride in water, MTBE in gas, Iron supplements, Nitrites in processed
meats, Salmonella in eggs, E-coli in hamburger, Pesticides on our fruits
and vegetables (during the winter they are imported from Mexico, Chili,
etc., countries that have no pesticide policy). As a matter of fact, our
chemical companies sell pesticides that are illegal in the US, to the very
countries that supply our groceries. And someone is worried about Mercury
batteries? Give me a break!

So I personally believe that the banning of Mercury batteries (and
thermometers), and the forcing of deadly poisons far worse than Mercury
into our lives, is the result of a hidden agenda by bureaucrats and big
business. Are Mercury batteries banned in other countries? No. And just
because they are banned here doesn't mean that they are not available. CL
and MR meter mercury batteries are readily available via mail order. I've
seen many references here on the LUG.

By the way, Keeble and Shuchat has a Tri-Elmar in stock if anyone is
interested. Call 650-327-8996 and ask for Jeff Alford.

Jim