Subject: Re: [Leica] Replacement found for PX625 cell
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:21:40 -0600

Ken,
It's true that there are other means by which mercury makes it's way into
the environment, but it seems to me that these little button cells are
significant enough to merit a ban, and the alternatives (modify the camera,
use it without a meter, use a different type of battery) do not seem nearly
so awful. I think it's important to remember that we, the Leica-carrying
crowd, are least likely to have to live with the consequences of our
actions-heck, if our area becomes too fouled, we can afford to move to an
unsullied area. And how thoughtful of Mercedes Benz to provide filtered air
for it's fortunate customers!

But be careful about that delicious grilled swordfish or tuna steak
(probably salmon as well) - guess which fish accumulate most mercury as a
result of their top-of-the-food-chain position? May I interest you in a nice
dish of plankton instead?

Here's just three (of many) websites which may be of interest:

http://www.epa.gov/reg5oair/glakes/fact2.htm
http://www.alphacdc.com/ien/mercury.html
http://www.magnet.state.ma.us/dep/files/battery.htm

Jeff