Subject: [Leica] War Reparations?
From: Vondauster <Vondauster@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 07:56:17 EDT

Hi All,

Sorry I have to comment on this.

<< >>If this "outright theft" of German patents occured right after World War
 >>II, then as far as I'm concerned, all bets are off.
 >

 >Dan
 >
 >I'm not certain what you are suggesting here, but if you are trying to say
 >that theft is ever acceptable, then you are possessed of a sliding-scale
 >morality that I cannot accept.
 >
 >Marc

 I am not sure of the details of how these patents ended up in Japanese
 hands, but what you are calling "theft", others may call "war reparations"

Ah. I understand. Since the Germans attacked the Japanese and went on to loose
the war with them, the Japanese were therefore entitled to reparations for the
high costs incured fighting the German agressors. Funny that I never really
saw that before...

More germain, if not German, I agree with Marc (!) about the shady start of
the post-war Japanese camera industry. And, must also add that superior
Japanese cameras eventually took over the consumer market through German
complacency and possibly arrogance.

Will von Dauster