Subject: Re: [Leica] 135, f 2.8
From: "Art Searle" <w2nra@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 21:20:21 -0400

Art Searle wrote,
>><<  I ask because right now I only have up to
>> the 90 and I've come across many instances where I could use a little
more
>> power.  Sometimes I just don't feel like lugging the SLR with long
lenses.
>> I was thinking of getting the 135 f/4 but your comments are making me
>> apprehensive. >>

Paul Kern wrote,
>May I suggest the 135 2.8 with the wonderful magnifying windows. Because
>they are not popular, they are relatively inexpensive and the extra stop
>comes in handy in low light and for isolating the subject. The windows
>allow you to use the 90 mm frame for a larger, easier to focus and compose
>image.

Thanks Paul but I don't think that is right.  I believe that the 135
Elmarit-M just magnifies the camera's viewfinder 1.5 X.  It brings up the
135 bright-line frame but magnifies it also 1.5.  thus focusing is the
equivalent of focusing a 110mm lens.  Not quite as good as a 90 but not as
bad as a 135.  All this is IMO and I sure someone will tell me if I'm
wrong.

Art

Art Searle, W2NRA, w2nra@erols.com, Lake Grove, Long Island, NY, USA
20 miles east of Nikon USA, 70 miles east of Leica USA