Subject: Re: [Leica] 135, f 2.8
From: Charles Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 21:59:26 -0500

I never had the 135/2.8, but I did have a 35mm with eyes for my M3.
There the eyes reduced the scene before it hit the viewfinder, squeezing
it down to fit the 50mm frame lines (which were as wide as the M3
went.)  I thought the 135/2.8 did the same thing in reverse, enlarging
the scene until it filled the 90mm frame lines, which I think I remember
was what that lens indexed.  (In fact, I thought the 135/2.8 was the
only 135 that would work on an M2 without a separate finder.)  The eyes
do all their work before any light hits the viewfinder/frameline system,
so I don't think they could magnify or otherwise affect the framelines
themselves.  At least that was my experience on the "other end" of the
goggles system.

Cheers,

Kip Babington