Subject: Re: [Leica] OK, lets get small
From: Vondauster <Vondauster@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 12:29:13 EDT

Hi All,

In a message dated 98-04-19 11:41:45 EDT, Tom Shea wrote:

<< The improvement in film would make the current minox print quality
equivalent
 to 35 mm in days of old.  >>

This is exactly my point. I have, back when I owned one of those finicky Minox
enlargers,  made surprisingly good 8 x 10 inch prints from Minox EC and TX
negatives, usually with Agfapan 25.

Now, isn't this the exact sort of statement made by early adopters of 35mm
photography?

<< I know some will not agree, but the improvement of 35 mm film has rendered
 medium format largely unnecessary.  The quality improvement for images up to
 11 x 14 with medium format are very small, if they exist at all.  The reason
 is that the lenses for medium format are now the limiting factor for that
 format.  They are not nearly as good as the best current lenses for 35 mm.
 This means that the increased resolution of the new films is to some extent
 wasted in the medium format.  The lenses are not good enough to take full
 advantage of the film. >>

Well, most of them. I would agree with your basic point, that 35mm using
appropriate film is capable of making excellent 11 x 14 inch enlargements - I
do this all the time. But I have owned the 50mm Zeiss FE lens for the
Hasselblad, and it is as sharp as any 35mm lens I've ever used.

Having said that, there are also other considerations. For example, the Minox
is a 15mm f3.5 or 5.6 lens. This gives an added depth of field advantage that
35mm similarly enjoys v.v. medium format, resulting in a "look" other cameras
cannot quite duplicate, in my experience. Or maybe my imagination...

Finally - there are cases where graininess is not a bad thing, stylistically.
No, I'm not defending the trendy Holga-Diana-disposable art trend: that is a
different thing entirely.

Will von Dauster