Subject: Re: [Leica] DOF indicator
From: Duncan Young <dunk@mincom.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:52:50 +1000 (EST)

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Nick Hunter wrote:

> Thibault Collin wrote:
>
> >Of course, but if we have free time this summer, we could try to calibrate
> >it with other lenses which will give other apertures!! It would be a tough
> >job!
>
> Thib:
>
> What an interesting idea! I don't know if I'll get around to doing anything
> about it, but I think the theoretical answer would be as follows: Two stops
> slower for twice the focal length. Therefore (approx.):
>
> 50mm=   f:5.6/f:16
>
> 75mm=   f:8/f:22
>
> 90mm=   f:11/f:32
>
> 135mm=  f:16/f:45
>
> I stand ready to be corrected by LUG optical wizards. Remember I did say
> approximate, and DOF is a tricky issue which can (and has) filled whole
> books.

DOF is proportional to aperature i.e. F4 has 1/2 the depth of field of F8/

DOF is proportional to the inverse square of the focal length. i.e.
100mm is 2 times the focal length of a 50mm, therefore has only 1/4 the DOF.

Based on this

   50mm = f:5.6/F16

   75mm = F:12.5 ( say approx F11 )/F:36 ( say approx F:32 )

   90mm = F:18 ( say approx F16 )/F:51 ( say approx F:45 )

  135mm = F:40 ( say approx F32 + 1/2 )/F116 ( say approx F90 + 1/2 )

    Duncan ( who has also double checked his assumptions on a depth of filed
             chart ).