Subject: Re: [Leica] M's and focusing
From: Duncan Young <dunk@mincom.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 14:47:19 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, TEAShea wrote:

> <<
>  An open question regarding M's and lenses with good flatness of
> field--suppose
>  I'm shooting wide-open with a wide angle lens and my subject is, say, a
> person
>  who's pretty close, and I want the eyes to be sharp. I focus on the person's
>  eyes in the center of the finder, but that's not what I want in composition,
>  so I move that person close to the edge of the frame. Technically, it seems
>  me that if the field-plane is truly flat, that will back-focus the eyes of
> the
>  person when I change the composition. >>
>
> If the distance from the lens to the person's eyes remains the same, the
> person's eyes should remain in focus if you are using a flat field lens (a
> lens with little or no curvature of field).

Not true.

Camera >----------------------B  ---- center of view ( .i.e. camera is aimed
                                                       at B )

Distancace to A and B from the camera are different, but if the camera has a
flat field, then both will be in focus.  If one recomposes to put A in the
center of the field and B on the edge, then A will behind the plane of focus
and B will be in front.

    Duncan