Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera shop in LA and Vancouver
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:17:16 -0600

- -----Original Message-----
From: Tony Chang <stchang@novice.uwaterloo.ca>
>I will travel to LA and Vancouver with my girlfriend in May.  I was
>wondering if any LUGGER can recommend me some good camera shops in these 2
>cities.  Thanks for your help.

Tony Chang,
If Vancouver includes Vancouver Island, historical downtown Victoria is not
to be missed, and, at times, it's still possible to imagine that  the sun
never sets on the British empire :-) If the budget allows, the Empress
Hotel's a magnificent place to hang up your coat, and the location's tops.

I do recall visiting a pretty good shop there--sorry, I can't recall the
name, and my info's a few years out of date, but they WERE selling
Mamiya-class gear. Don't recall seeing photo stores of note in the popular
areas around Science Park or Gastown in Vancouver, but then, I was too busy
doing OTHER things!

Are you taking Amtrak's Coast Starlight from Vancouver to Los Angeles? If
so, you are extremely fortunate: It's difficult to get good photos through
the windows of a moving train, but don't let that stop you from trying.

Regarding the M6 meter: I am still getting a refresher course on using a
centerweighted-type meter, but it appears accurate to within about 1/2 stop
of my reference Pentax spotmeter. I'd probably carry two sets of spare
batteries, as I am still not used to leaving the camera uncocked or set to
"B".

Jeff