Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:an objective evaluation of leica M lenses: Slightly Off Topic
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 08:30:00 -0400

At 10:21 PM 4/22/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Dominique:
>
>Your statement "...science is inadequate or subjective..."  is nonsense
and if
>meant as playful humor,  the effort is tasteless defeatism!

we do not yet possess a widely appreciated or understood science of
>values; although, some of us are very busy developing one at the present
>moment.

And thank God we don't. Science is essential to answer essentially
scientific questions, which means questions that can be answered
objectively. Taste is the ultimate in subjective judgement or analysis. The
last thing we need is science telling us why a black velvet Elvis is in
"bad" taste, while Martha Stewart's easter baskets are in "good" taste :-).

Take a deep breath, go back to the lab and keep testing those lenses.

B. D.