Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:an objective evaluation of leica M lenses: Slightly Off Topic
From: LP6 <LP6@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:40:06 EDT

B.D.

Good science deepens our aesthetic and artistic experience everywhere.

Your remarks overestimate the power of science.  Heisenberg's observation that
looking at the atom disturbs it and thus limits our capacity to know it !

So, too, with a science of values, valuation and morals:  the scientific
penetration of this  disturbing veil of today's blurred value vision across
human consciousness  can only enrich us all while leaving in place the greater
mysteries for artistic and mystical discovery and appreciation.  The search
for meaning must use the scientific  method; but, our goal must always be
"religion".  In any event , we have little choice; for, nature will shove it
down our throats anyway:  the path of science will always end at the doorsteps
of art , religion and mysticism and that's ok.

The depth of complexity in nature means that  the scientific enterprise will
always be a pimple on a horses ass.   And, complexity aside, human life on
this planet is a finite expression of nature, and so time runs out for human
consciousness anyway.   In the meantime good science enriches our gift of life
in the cosmos!

Thus human sience will never conquer the natural order in the sense of
precision knolwedge and precision prediction.  Heisenberg's "Indeterminancy
Principle" applies to our efforts to develop a general  science of values,
valuation and morals as well; but, we choose to push to the "atoms" of value,
taste, emotion and motivation  to enrich human life this side of nature's
"merciful" (?) limitions!

Forgive this wordy tour of aesthetic horizons, somewhat expanding our M Lens
thread, if not veering off topic:  you can blame it all on Dominique and BD!

LP6@aol.com