Subject: Re: [Leica] Brassai
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 11:05:36 -0600

- -----Original Message-----
From: Disfromage <Disfromage@aol.com>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Wednesday, April 22, 1998 9:19 PM
Subject: [Leica] Brassai

(snip)

>By today's standards, these photos were soft and had poor
>resolution. But they were incredible nonetheless. Maybe we should
concentrate
>more on developing our vision as photographers and really learn how to use
>what we have, rather than lusting after every new thing that comes along.
Is
(
>Now how do I justify that 75 summilux?) :-) Boy am I conflicted!
> Richard W

Art discussions are running rampant on the LUG, and I love it!

If I hadn't been inspired to better learn the craft of photography after
seeing the works of masters, I'd probably today own a mid-level camera with
the neatest possible LCD display:
There's just not much "stuff" on a Leica M6 to keep a person amused for any
great length of time--a mid-priced Canon is way more entertaining and way
cheaper.

Learning to see magic in everyday life is lots of fun; capturing it so that
others can enjoy it without needing a long explanation is challenging! Think
this must be part of the reason why the works of Eisenstadt,
Cartier-Bresson, and yes,  Norman Rockwell, endure in popularity.

I've become less and less bothered by slightly fuzzy, flarey, or grainy
photos, and more and more fussy about framing and exact timing.

But I want new lenses too - currently accepting new 90 Tele-Elmars and
Tri-Elmars for extended evaluation :-)

Jeff