Subject: [Leica] Re: R8 focusing method
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 17:08:01 +0200

On 23-04-1998 16:53 John McLeod wrote:
(snip)
>I have an idea that I'd like to test.  Though I was always told to focus
>with my left hand resting UNDER the camera and supporting the body, I have
>always focused with my left hand to the left of, and slightly, above the
>lens and my left elbow flying out to the side.  The former approach cradles
>the camera in a more stable manner, but my ("incorrect") method allows for
>possibly quicker focusing and racking of the lens.  I have a theory (clearly
>of earth-shattering importance -- the world awaits the findings) that those
>who like the ergonomics of the R8 cradle their focusing hand under the lens,
>and that those who don't like the feel of the camera focus the way I do.

John,

I think the secret lies in having large hands or, at least, long fingers.
Otherwise you'll quickly find that the shutter release button is
awkwardly placed and that the strap attachment plus strap comes in your
way.

Personally, as I have long fingers, I grab the R8 around its right side
and use my left hand to focus. With a short lens I first focus and then
don't hold the lens while taking the actual picture, but the left side of
the R8 instead (so I take the camera in both hands in the same way). With
a longer or heavier lens, I keep my left hand almost horizontally under
the lens for extra support, and make sure that part of my hand also comes
under the left side of the camera for support.

Pascal

t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r