Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 Gripe
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 17:54:51 +0100

Harrison wrote:

>Well, Ted, when I miss shots because the camera gets turned off while
>covering a news situation I tend to get a little pissed off at the
>camera.   When I carry multiple cameras and one has a lens like the 180 on
>it I turn the lens so that it is falling into my body so that I do not
>bang it  When walking with the lens on the body. the camera would bump
>against my side and cause the mode switch to change.  I don't know how you
>carry long lenses on your cameras, but you may do so differently than I
>and therefore you would not have this problem. >>>>>>

Hi Harrison,

I carry the same as you and now that you have pointed this out I recall a
couple of times where the dials have been turned, but I had blamed myself
thinking I had switched them and not returned to the regular working mode.

Although I haven't experienced as often as yourself, you are quite correct
in having some kind of "lock down" or the indents deeper to hold the dial
in firm position  that it takes a good solid pressure to make them turn.

I think these are things that occur due to Leica not giving the equipment
to regular working media related photographers for testing to discover
items such as this. I'm sure they use competent photographers for field
testing, but it would be much better to send some of the cameras to the US
or Canada where we work quite differently to the Europeans.

An example, the new zoom lenses have the same rubber ring design for both
focus and zoom. That creates quite a confusion when you are shooting and
and have your fingers to focus or zoom not "feeling " which one you are on.
And when you are shooting sports or other fast moving subjects for example,
you continually have the camera to your eye, therefore you do not look
where your fingers are on which ring.

It would have been so easy to make the rings with different "feelings" to
the rubber, that you would know by feel whether you were about to zoom or
focus. Most important it wouldn't have cost a penny more to do so.

I have posted that information on to Germany and hope action is taken to
rectify it for future production.

But the dial may well be changed simply because people like yourself
pointed out what problems occur when carrying the camera as we do with the
longer lenses turned into the body, they way they should be.  Someone who
may well be a professional might not ever carry his camera in this fashion,
if he only carries one camera or always uses a tripod.

But camera users like us who work sometimes with 3, 4, 5, or 6 cameras at
the same time have a carrying system quite different to the one body
photographer. And the different carrying techniques should be taken into
consideration during the designing.

My original point was with the first poster who made a complaint, but gave
no idea of what the problem was nor how he might suggest fixing it as you
have. And you in effect pointed out something I was blaming myself for due
to forgetfulness instead  of it being a camera feature.

Now that you have made me aware of it, I'll certainly watch for it in the
future. Many thanks,

ted