Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Noctilux - Rational lens??
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 17:11:25 +0000

At 07:18 AM 26/4/98 +0000, you wrote:
>> >Donald, I appreciated reading your report on the Noctilux.  I have been
>> >wondering whether to get one.  It seems like a very unusual lens with
unique
>> >characteristics.  Erwin's report also notes unique characteristics.  It
>> sounds
>> >like a worthwhile lens.
>>
>> You may want to wait and get the issue of Photo Techniques that will have
>> Erwin's article "King of the NIght: The Special Qualities of the Leica
>> Noctilux-M".  Before he left, MIke Johnston said it would be coming out
>> soon.  I love my Noctilux and use it more and more.  At the LHSA meeting in
>> Charleston, I photographed some street scenes at night that could not have
>> been made without the Noctilux.  It has its drawbacks, but the advantages
>> outweigh them for me.  Tina
>
>I can't fully understand the desire for a Noctilux. Admittedly I
>havn't used a Leica yet (so I'm still trying to get "it"), but I
>have used a Canon 50mm f/1.0. I thought the idea of a Leica M
>camera is small, light(ish) and discreet. So what is the deal
>putting a huge lens on it that is heavier than the camera?
>
>The Canon 50/1 on the lightest body would be about 5% heavier,
>but you get hardly any light fall-off, no tempermental nature...
>ALL your shots seem to turn out fine, much closer focusing
>distance, cheaper price, SLR focusing (which is desirable for
>such a wide aperture), AF, and it produces its own brand of
>fascinating bokeh at f1.0, but I can't personally compare it to
>the Leica variety.
>
>Are you Noctilux owners in love with this lens or with f/1.0? It
>sounds like f1.0, which I can understand but not with all that
>light fall-off....

The lens is big but then you cannot have a small light lens rated at f1.0.
I thought I would never need a Noctilux since it is possible to achieve low
light photography by using a faster film on my f1.4 summilux.

After acquiring this lens just a few months ago, I found that it has a
personality of its own, able to produce pictures with a unique style, and I
am in fact thrilled by the vignetting which I think is an artform in
itself. So very often, I purposely open up the lens to f1.0-1.2 so that the
vignetting is obvious.

This lens should not be compared with other lenses in the conventional
manner nor its performance  measured in lines per mm.  This lens is not my
idea of a sharp lens but I like the way the pictures turn out.  Yes, one
can say that it is subjective appreciation.  I am of the impression that
those who own the lens will tend to  keep using it while those who have
never used it will probably not miss it.

Dan CC Khong.