Subject: Re: [Leica] Developing for dummies
From: Paul and Paula Butzi <butzi@halcyon.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 20:15:24 -0700

>>Both D-76 and ID-11 are, unless my memory fails me, metol-hydroquinone
>>based developers (and are, for all intents and purposes, identical).
>>
>>Metol is the substance to which people can become sensitized.  Phenidone
>>based developers are the usual replacement.
>
>Half right. Phenodine is the non-allergenic substance unlike what I said
>before, and that's what ID-11 plus uses. That's the only difference between
>the two. The developer characteristics are almost identical.

I got curious and checked.

According the data I found on Ilford's web site (Check the MSDS data at the
end of
http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/film_chem.pdf),
ID-11 is metol/hydroquinone based, and is a virtual duplicate of D-76.
There have
been, over time, several different versions of this basic developer.  Most
of the
changes have been in the buffering used.  ID-11+, which is now discontinued,
was some variation on the basic D-76 formula, with some agent which Ilford
called BZT added.  ID-11+ was apparently discontinued because the additive
interfered with getting good results with TMax films.  (the last is based on
stuff I recall hearing, not firsthand knowledge).

Ilford's Microphen is a phenidone/hydroquinone based developer.

To my surprise, Ilfosol-S is sodium ascorbate/hydroquinone.

- -Paul