Subject: Re: [Leica] V35 autofocus help
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 01:19:23 -0400

Perhaps this should be titled, LANDFILL HELP, as I have been asked by the
City of Roanoke, Virginia, NOT to throw my V35 into the public dump, though
I am sorely tempted.

This is one cranky, nasty, foul-tempered, foolishly designed item.  It is,
bluntly, the most worthless excuse for an enlarger I have ever used.
Autofocus?  Well, I concede that it "auto" focus, but, bloody hell, with
each frame, it is a ten-minute exercize in futzing about with a gazillion
adjusting screws to make it work.  Go to the next frame?  Autofocus?  Nope.
 Back to square one, and do it all over again.

I've been struggling with this sucker for two months now.  Many of you who
swear by these things have tried to be most helpful, and one List member
kindly lent me that incomprehensible excuse for an instruction manual Hove
prints (I have seen advanced nuclear physics texts that were clearer!).

The Focotar enlarging lens is okay, but not great:  the Rodenstock lenses
on my Beseler C23 are on par.  The V35 enlarger itself seems to be
worthless;  my C23 is a nice, gentle, predictable enlarger which doesn't
play games.

What is so great about these V35's?  Does anyone want one cheap ($1000 and
you pick it up)?  Will someone here convince me to keep this and, maybe,
help me to see that I am doing something wrong?

Mine, incidentally, is a colour-head version.

Hatred?  Yes, I have hatred of this V35.  I shouldn't, perhaps, but I have,
in 48 years, never seen such a cantankerous piece of machinery.  Leica must
have studied British sports cars to produce something as unreliable and
uninspiring as is this thing!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!