Subject: [Leica] 180 APO vs 180 Elmarit (67mm version)
From: ATanabe <ATanabe@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 01:39:49 EDT

Hi All!
This is a repeat of a lost message posted Friday last week.
A comparison test of the new APO 180 vs the current 180 Elmarit was conducted
under the following conditions:
Fuji Velvia rated at 50, early morning, Pacific Northwest SUNLIGHT (yes we do
get sun) about 10:1 contrast range in the picture.  The subject was top back
lit with no fill.  I chose some small purple and white flowers growing in my
back yard against a green - shadows shrubery for full density range.  Tested
the lenses with APO2x convertor wide open and stopped down, and with out
convertor wide open and stopped down.
1)  The APO exhibited a brighter, truer color from the purple flowers.  The
non APO lense tended to muddy the purple and make it slightly darker.  Close
evaluation of the entire image shows equal density throughout the green
background so little likely hood of exposure error.  Plus I bracketed +/-.
2)  The APO is absolutely tack sharp with the 2x APO wide open!  Fine detail
(thistle   backlit) is preserved with fantastic detail.  Close focus to 5' =
about 1:4 ratio?
3)  The out of focus areas are much more pronounced.  The outer border of the
defracted light has a small halo around it.  Sort of a mini mirror lense
effect but much more subtle.  The older Elmarit has a much softer rendition.
4)  The range from f4-f6.3 shows a peculiar star shaped aperture pattern due
to the unique diaphragm.
5)  The APO is a great performer, no bleeding of highlights into the shadows
(diffraction) which means better highlight detail through D Min.
Al