Subject: Re: [Leica] what happened?/180.2.8 lens
From: ATanabe <ATanabe@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:51:55 EDT

<< I'd be interested in seeing that comparison. I'm contemplating buying a
 s/h 2nd version, not the heavy first one or the newest either. Do you
 have any thoughts on the cf between the first and second versions as
 well? Or any other Luggers?
 Jem >>
I have used the old (heavy) first version and found it to be a good performer.
It had typical (of that era) response to contrasty situations.  What seemed to
happen was an ever so slight bleed of higlight detail into the shadows when
shot wide open.  It was and still is the best example of 180s from that time
(Nikon also made a 180 2.8).
The improvements, I feel, came from better coatings and newer glass
formulations in the second and current non APO versions.  The main difference
in the APO and current versions of the 180 is extremely well corrected at
maximum aperture.  I like to shoot wide open and appreciate the great
corrections put into this lense.  You won't go wrong with the current
versions, you will only see a slight and I do mean slight difference in
sharpness and accutance wide open.  There is a difference in the color
accuracy, brightness and character of the lense.
Al