Subject: R: [Leica] New member intro & some questions
From: "Guido Ridoli" <guirid@numerica.it>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 14:11:45 +0200

Welcome into our crazy world
The virus has captured you, God bless you.......

+AHw-1. Is there a way to tell from the serial number exactly
when the camera
+AHw-was made? I know it is from the 90s, but would like to know
the exact
+AHw-year.

Probably I can help you,
tell me your M serial number, if I  know the production year
I'll be glad to help you.

+AHw-2. I have the Summicron 2/35 lens on it. I think that my
next lens
+AHw-purchase will be a 90 mm lens. There seem to be several
incarnations of
+AHw-that one. Any advice on which ones are good and which
aren't?

For 90mm my personal opinion is:
ELMAR C 4/90 the sharpest ever made
current ELMARIT M 2.8/90 very sharp

take also a look at Stephen Gandy site
http://cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm
remember the virus...

+AHw-3. And the eternal lens question: do you use UV filters to
protect the
+AHw-lens? I have always done it with my SLRs, and certainly the
price of
+AHw-Leica lenses calls for protection. On the other hand, the
very reason
+AHw-for getting into Leica is the quality of the optics, so I
am a bit
+AHw-ambivalent about adding a piece of glass in front.

My opinion
no filter on leica lenses
By the way be careful

      Guido Ridoli