Subject: Re: [Leica] New member intro & some questions
From: Robert Rose <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:15:05 -0700

Hi Nathan,

Welcome to the list.

1.  There are published serial number charts that give you date of manufacture, but they stop sometime in the 1990s.  Just post your number and someone will give you a date.

2.  There are different opinions on the 90s, of course, but I have the 90/2.8 Elmarit-M and rather like it.  Most responses you get will suggest the Elmarit-M over the Summicron, or Tele-Elmarit.  If you need the speed in a long lens, most reponses will suggest the 75/1.4 Summilux.  I bought the new chrome version, and all things considered, since the 0.85 body is now only in black, I probably would get the black if I did it again, and save the extra weight.

3.  Every six months or so there are 300 messages exchanged on "protection" filters.  Don't bother reading them.  Here is what they always say:  1.  Leica lenses already have UV coating, so a UV lens adds nothing.  2.  If you are at the seashore, on a boat, or other adverse conditions, use one, otherwise don't.  3.  The filter will increase the likelihood of flare and ghosting  4.  The filter won't protect anything, since a knock hard enough to damage the filter will damage the lens as well  5.  You have the Passport warranty, so why worry  6.  The costing is hard enough to withstand occasional proper cleaning.  7.  If you buy a filter, buy one that is multi-coated.  8.  Leica filters are not multi-coated  9.  Leica filters are multi-coated.  10.  The lens hood protects more than a filter would.

See, you paid for your subscription cost to the LUG already!  :-)

Bob Rose

>>> Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be> 04/29 9:46 PM >>>
Greetings,

I just joined this list a few days ago, in preparation of the arrival
from the UK of my first Leica ever, a second-hand, mint-condition M6. I
have been what the magazines call an "advanced amateur" since about
1986. I have shot mainly 35mm Pentax, although I have also owned a
Hasselblad 501, sold earlier this year. I decided to buy a Leica because
I wanted the absolute best in lenses; I was also attracted by the
simple, non-electronic, non-autofocus nature of the beast. It arrived
yesterday, and it is such a pleasure just to hold it and look at it! The
first objects to be honored by being photographed with it were some
sheep on a field in the Netherlands yesterday afternoon. Today I will
shoot a test roll to check that everything (shutter, exposure metering)
works properly.

I have some questions for the list:

1. Is there a way to tell from the serial number exactly when the camera
was made? I know it is from the 90s, but would like to know the exact
year.

2. I have the Summicron 2/35 lens on it. I think that my next lens
purchase will be a 90 mm lens. There seem to be several incarnations of
that one. Any advice on which ones are good and which aren't?

3. And the eternal lens question: do you use UV filters to protect the
lens? I have always done it with my SLRs, and certainly the price of
Leica lenses calls for protection. On the other hand, the very reason
for getting into Leica is the quality of the optics, so I am a bit
ambivalent about adding a piece of glass in front.

Thanks for any feedback.

Nathan Wajsman
Belgium