Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Mystery Leica SLR
From: LRZeitlin <LRZeitlin@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:45:11 EDT

Perhaps someone on this list can help me solve a small Leica mystery. My son
is an account executive for NCR and was involved in setting up automatic
teller
machines for the Japanese Sumimoto bank. One of bank executives, knew
that my son was a camera collector, and gave him a "mystery" camera
that the bank owned. My son asked me to identify it and I am at a
loss to give him an answer.

The camera is an SLR with an all black polycarbonate body about the
size of an M series Leica. A red Leitz medallion is fixed to the front
of the mirror housing. There are no manufacturer's identifying marks
on the body. The focal plane shutter is a metal blade device, probably
made by Copal. The camera has automatic and manual modes with two
programs and a self timer. The lens mount is complex, consisting of a
stainless steel adaptor plate with a Leica SLR flange taking what
appears to be an early R series lens which in turn fits a K mount on
the camera body. The adaptor can be removed and  a K mount Pentax lens
fitted. Lens automation is complete with either lens. Externally the
camera appears to be a modified Chinon CP-5.

Inside the camera there are the engraved words "E. Leitz - versuch
#549.73990-3". My son told me that when he received the camera there
was a paper sticker inside with handwritten Japanese characters which
he loosely translated as "engineering test sample." A date 5/4/84 was
also written on the sticker.

My first thought was that the camera was a phony destined for the
Japanese collector's market, but my son assured me that the bank
executive was sincere and would have lost considerable face as well as
lucrative business if a deception was discovered. My second thought
was that it indeed was an engineering development sample, commissioned
by Leitz during the early '80s as a possible lower cost replacement or
auxiliary to the R-3. I know that Leitz did enter into a number of
negotiations with other manufacturers during that period, most notably
Minolta for contract manufacturing (i.e the Leitz/Minolta CL) in order
to offset high German production costs.

Does anyone have any information or know of any rumors about this?
Are there any other crypto-Leicas around, unacknowledged illegtimate
children of Wetzlar?

The camera takes fine pictures. It would have been a good addition to
the Leica line.

Thanks - LarryZ