Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica lenses stopped down below 5.6
From: TEAShea <TEAShea@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 13:01:06 EDT

<  I must admit, I  have NEVER stopped a Leica lens down below f/8. >>

One thing to consider is that as a lens is stopped down, diffraction becomes
an issue.  Diffraction can degrade an image substantially.  For this reason,
usually try not to stop down to the smallest stop or two, depending on the
situation.

In general, Leica lenses seem to differ somewhat from other lines of lenses
regarding the ideal aperture range.  Your sense is correct.  Present
generation Leica lenses seem to generally  perform best at about two stops to
four or five stops down (until diffrations starts to be an issue).  However,
the range of excellence is quite wide.  The very newest Leica lenses seem to
reach peak performance ( or very very close) at even one stop down.  I cannot
speak to previous generation Leica lenses.  In contrast, most of my Canon
prime lenses are best at about three or four stops down from max.  Zeiss
Contax lenses seem to be closer in this regard to Leica.

Tom Shea