Subject: [Leica] Leica lenses stopped down below 5.6
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 08:06:49 -0700

From all the reading and listening I have done, it seems that
Leica lenses are at their optimum from about f/4 to f/8, depending
upon the lens.  Is this a true general statement?  I must admit, I
have NEVER stopped a Leica lens down below f/8.  I have always
been superstitious that stopping down below f/8 would degrade
performance.  I have seen first hand what can happen when you
shoot wide open....vignetting, light fall-off, etc., but can someone
briefly explain the phenomenon of lenses losing their finesse
as you stop down?
Do any of you frequently shoot at f/11 or 16 or 22?  From what I
gather here, most of you love shooting wide open....

Francesco Sanfilippo,
Five Senses Productions
webmaster@5senses.com

http://www.5senses.com/