Subject: [Leica] Q for the pros
From: "David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net>
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 10:51:20 -0700

LUGer's

I have not made a living with a camera for a number of years and most of my
current work is on personal projects. On occasion I will do a job if it has
special interest or will offer assistance to a worthy cause. On Thursday,
I received a commission to work on just such a project.

Last night I sat down to read the contract and encountered something that
has never appeared before, at least in the formal contract, and I'm
wondering if it is now a normal occurrence. The terms and day rate are
acceptable,  I retain copyright and everything looks OK,  but on page three
it says:

"Use only Fujichrome or Kodachrome 64/35 mm film ............... Ektachrome
is not acceptable."

Now, I do not have a problem with their choice of film and on occasion I
would run into an art director who had a preference of one kind of film
over another and we would talk about it verbally .......... but in the
contract............ it never came up.

This is a national organization. It is an editorial assignment and I am not
working for one particular art director. In my past experience, this is the
type of thing that was left to the photographer and if the client liked the
end product you got more work and if they didn't,  they went elsewhere.

I will do the job,  and I know that things have changed dramatically in
this business over the years,  but I was just asking for comments or
opinions.

Cheers,
David Medley
Whidbey Is.   WA