Subject: Re: [Leica] Q for the pros
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 15:34:45 -0400

David Medley wrote:

> LUGer's

SNIP
> but on page three it says:
>
> "Use only Fujichrome or Kodachrome 64/35 mm film ............... Ektachrome
> is not acceptable."
>
> Now, I do not have a problem with their choice of film and on occasion I
> would run into an art director who had a preference of one kind of film
> over another and we would talk about it verbally .......... but in the
> contract............ it never came up.

SNIP

> I will do the job,  and I know that things have changed dramatically in
> this business over the years,  but I was just asking for comments or
> opinions.
>
> Cheers,
> David Medley

Sounds like, to me, either they're looking for a particular palette or
sense of color that should co-exist with other images. Or, more likely,
some dork who thinks they know something about photography and/or is
wowed by the overkill that those emulsions bring to colors.

They may also have a bias, not unjustified based on past experience,
that all Ektachromes are blue. Such is not the case and I know there are
many here on the LUG who would rave about the new E100S, E100SW and E200
emulsions, myself included. Most all of my commercial work is done on
these as I like the palette that they bring to my work.

Kodachrome is wonderful if I want archivalness, fine-grain and some
vibrancy. But, their processing has been too inconsistent the past few
years and I'm not about to risk jobs on that. Plus, I can have my local
custom lab run the E-6 in 90 minutes. That, and Fedex, makes for happy
clients.

As for the Fuji, I find their palette too exagerated. Although I state
this at the risk of much dissent. And, I should confess, that I have yet
to try the Provia and Sensia emulsions.

I should add, one of the things I really like about the new Kodak E-6
films is their forgiveness for reciprocity and they aren't as contrasty
as transparency films I've worked with in the past. They have a nice
long tonal range. Hope this helps.

Carl S.

- --
Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do.