Subject: Re: [Leica] Fuji Emulsions
From: eyes1@webtv.net (Isaac Crawford)
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 01:08:35 -0400

Velvia...Very fine grain, incredible color saturaton (some say too
much), slow (ASA 50).  `i think that there is too much magenta in the
blues for my tastes (as compared to KR64).  I've also noticed a magenta
ring around most of my clouds as well...course all of this makes it THE
sunset film...

Provia...Fuji tried to get the same characteristics as the Velva, but
with one more stop (ASA 100 instead of 50).  It is still saturated,
contrasty, and fine grained, but not as much as the Velvia.  Provia is
one of my favorites.  Note that Fuji now has Provia 400 and 1600...these
are obvously different films...

Astia...is also a 100 ASA film, but it is a completely different beast
than Provia.  Astia was designed for reproducing accurate skin tones
something you'll appreciate after trying to do that with Velvia!:-)  It
does give wondeful "face", better than any other film I've seen.  It
also tends to be less contrasty and have more of a "pastel" type of
pallette as compared to the other uji films...It reminds me a little of
VPS it that regard...

Happy Shooting!

eyes