Subject: [Leica] First M system choices...
From: eyes1@webtv.net (Isaac Crawford)
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 00:05:02 -0400

    I am now in the planning stages for getting my first M system and I
have a couple of questions.  The widest lens that I will use wil be a
35mm, and most of my shooting will be with longer lenses.  Because of
this, I think that a higher magnification camera would suit me well.
What would I be giving up (other than the meter) if I got an M3 instead
of an M6HM?  It seems as though I could save a considerable amount of
money on the camera and put it towards....
     Lenses...  I'm thinking that a setup consisting of 35mm f2, 50mm
f1.4, 75mm f1.4 (gulp!), and a 135mm of some description would be all I
need.  I don't really think that I "need" the newest ASPH version of the
35mm (but could possibly be convinced...), but what incarnation should I
look for...or better yet, watch out for.  Ditto for the 50.  I'm not
adversed to spending some money, but if I don't have to, that's just
more I can spend on the 75mm...:-)
     I read with great interest the article on the 135 hektor on the
"Viewfinder" page...is it true that this is just as good as the other
135 lenses at the middle aperatures?  Why would I even consider the
other ones?  Finially, are there any general lens issues I should know
about...Seems to me that since I'm a user, not a collector, perhaps the
Canadien lenses would be a better buy? (Oh no, did I just say German vs
Canadien?...:-)  TIA

Happy Shooting!

eyes