Subject: Re: [Leica] OFF TOPIC - Press "Freedom"
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 14:39:16 -0400

     Someone writing about "why the Quebec ruling is harmful" referred to
     it as a "ridiculous interperetation of privacy" and added that the
     "court...extend[ed] its jurisdiction into determining what constitutes
     a news photograph," and that on "a sunny day...someone... sitting out
     in the sun after a month of El Nino...might constitute news...[but
     because]...I couldn't find that caveat in the ruling,... better just
     stick to shooting the things...declared safe in the ruling."

     Not being a lawyer, I do not know whether by this decision the court
     did "extend its jurisdiction."  But it does seem that what the court
     did was simply to balance, on the one hand, the photographer's right
     (freedom of the press, freedom of expression) and, through that, the
     public's right (to be informed, as Eric pointed out) against, on the
     other hand, the individual's right (to privacy).  It also seems that
     such a function is precisely the purpose of the court.  None of those
     rights is absolute, any more than the right to free speech gives one
     absolute license to shout "Fire" indescriminately; rather rights often
     conflict with one another, and balances must be found.  And in finding
     those balances, reasonable people may reasonably disagree.  The ruling
     of the court is clearly not an unreasonable one, regardless of whether
     I (not a Canadian) agree with it, and, therefore, is not "ridiculous."
     It found that the facts of this case had not "shown that the public's
     interest in seeing this photograph is predominant." On the newsworthy
     "sunny day...after a month of El Nino" the earlier writer mentioned,
     photographers are free to publish pictures in which "an individual's
     own action, albeit unwittingly, accidentally places him or her in the
     photograph...[thus] in the limelight," or in which "a person appears
     in an incidental manner in a photograph of a public place...even if it
     is technically possible to identify individuals."  And photographers,
     like the one in this court case, are always free to ask the permission
     of individual subjects either before or after they photograph them.  I
     do not think that possession of a camera---even a Leica!---vacates the
     rights of those individuals one may choose to photograph, and although
     I greatly admire the work of Henri Cartier-Bresson, it may be that he
     should have gotten permission of individuals whom he had photographed
     (and, for all I know, perhaps he did).

     Art Peterson

     P.S. Thanks to Tom Shea for making the text of the decision available.