Subject: Re: [Leica] Q for the pros
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 18:14:02 -0700

Carl Socolow wrote:

> They may also have a bias, not unjustified based on past experience,
> that all Ektachromes are blue. Such is not the case and I know there are
> many here on the LUG who would rave about the new E100S, E100SW and E200
> emulsions, myself included. Most all of my commercial work is done on
> these as I like the palette that they bring to my work.

SNIP
> As for the Fuji, I find their palette too exagerated. Although I state
> this at the risk of much dissent. And, I should confess, that I have yet
> to try the Provia and Sensia emulsions.

A good place to relate recent experience.  I just got back from boat
shoot on Lake Meade (near Las Vegas where I won $200 on the slots on my
birthday!).  I did some testing before hand since the boat colors have
gotten darker this year and agency worried about reproduction.  We even
considered mounting powerful flashes aboard camera boat, but it got
nixed finally as too complicated.  So I tested Velvia with and without a
Tiffen 812 filter and E100S with 812 and E100SW straight.  Film to AD
who went over it with the separator and the winner was....

(envelope, please)....

Velvia with 812 enhancing filter at 1/4 stop overexposure.  Despite
contrast, the punchier colors won out.  And interestingly, despite the
812's bit of red bias, the skin tones look better than Velvia straight.
Don't know why.  Exposed usually at ISO 32 (including 1/2 stop for the
812).  88 rolls dead on exposure without an unintended push or pull, all
with incident light meter.

donal
- ---
Donal Philby